New Shipment of Dan’s Book Has Just Arrived! Keep the conversation going about mental health and addictions. Order Dan's book today! It's a thoughtful gift for anyone suffering with mental health...

Read more

Day of Hope and Leadership Save the date: October 3, 2017 This year's Day of Hope and Leadership was another success. Sold out with over 250 guests in attendance who were inspired by the theme "What Is Your Next...

Read more

Body Plus Nutritional Products Team at the Briars Dan was very happy to be tonight's keynote speaker for the Body Plus Nutrition Products team. His message that "Ones Add Up" was delivered to an engaging...

Read more

Dan Carter Talks About Leadership on SiriusXM Radio   Check out Dan on  SiriusXM Radio - Dan Carter talking about leadership on the show "What She Said" with Kate Wheeler and Christine...

Read more

Week 28 Pull Up - Pull Out - Pull Down "Average is over" - either we understand that we become a lifelong learner or we can no longer be competitive or exist. The...

Read more

Week 27 The Web and Your Company According to StatCounter, Dublin - 20% of web browsing is now conducted on mobile devices; compare that to 2009 when mobile...

Read more

Week 10

Posted by Dan Carter | Posted in One Idea a Day | Posted on 03-02-2014

Tags: , , , ,


Harvard psychologist, Robert Rosenthal and Lenore Jacobson of South San Francisco Unified School District conducted a very interesting study in the 1960’s that was designed to find out what happens to students when teachers believed they had high potential. Rosenthal randomly selected 20 percent of the students in a few class rooms and labelled them “Bloomers- High Potentials” and the other 80 percent were in a controlled group. The bloomers weren’t any smarter than their peers – the difference was in the mind of the teacher. The teachers’ beliefs created self-fulfilling prophecies. When teachers believed their students were “Bloomers” they set higher expectations, engaged more and supported behaviours that helped boost the students’ confidence.  All of this in turn, boosted the students’ grades.

From this study what can we learn from the results; have you ever seen one person with your perception of high potential and another you though had low potential?  On reflection, did you invest in them differently; did they live up to your own self- fulfilling prophecies?

What do you think is a great lesson about the way we see people? How can we change the way we see people?

Write a comment